Doctors who Treat NASH

Sometimes finding the right doctor can make all the difference—especially with NASH.

Part of taking charge of your liver health is finding a doctor that specializes in diagnosing and treating NASH, especially if your current doctor isn’t familiar with the tests to check for NASH and scarring (fibrosis). Below are different types of specialists who can help identify and manage NASH:


You can still have NASH even if your liver enzymes are normal. You may need other tests to know for sure.

Specialists who can help diagnose and manage NASH


Specialty: Diagnosing and treating various conditions associated with the liver. They treat acute or chronic liver disease, ranging from fatty liver disease to NASH to cirrhosis to liver cancer. Hepatologists also provide care before and after liver transplants.


Specialty: Diagnosing and treating conditions affecting your digestive system, including the liver. Some gastroenterologists make liver care their focus.

Nurse Practitioner (NP) and Physician Assistant (PA)

Role: Liver specialists may have NPs and/or PAs on their staff to help with diagnosing, educating patients, and prescribing treatments.

No matter what type of healthcare provider you’re seeing, take charge of your health.
Do everything you can to keep your liver as healthy as possible

UP next:

Do you know what questions to ask your doctor about NASH?

Start here

Sign up for more information about NASH and liver health.

Stay informed

You depend on your liver and now it’s depending on you.

See how you can help